View Single Post
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 12:42   #8
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salop Farmer View Post
I am getting close to having to cut holes in the rear panel of my PV and would really appreciate dimensions of these cut outs for the bumper towel rail support arms.(Standard on US spec cars). Would hate to get it wrong!

Also as I am fitting a B18 + M40 gearbox into what was a B16 + 3 speed gearbox car, the front propshaft section needs shortening. I have been given two dimensions:- 2.5 and 2.875 inches. Does anyone know which if any is correct please?
May I suggest for the B18 + M40 combination you intend to fit that you source an original part? This was a combination made and fitted by Volvo. If I remember correctly I think you need a different gearbox crossmember as well and could have also been changes in the clutch operating mechanism...

...I haven't figured it out yet - I have seen conflicting "evidence" - but there might also have been different final drive ratios fitted to the earliest PVs so if you're converting a really early beast that might too play a part in your plans. On the whole it seems like the rarer ENV rear axles have a lower gearing but that isn't to say the Spicer type are all the same (!)

I'm pretty sure you'll need a longer speedo cable too (and the speedo is matched to the final drive ratio)

#####

If you've already gone through this and I'm wittering on for no reason I appologise in advance...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote