View Single Post
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 17:15   #4
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by asneddon View Post
Its either the under-bonnet sound proofing (at ~£35) which makes the car a nicer place to be at all times, or the headlight upgrade to halogens (~£70 I think). These are a huge improvement over the sealed beams and make night driving much less stressfull.
£70 for halogens? They're normally MUCH cheaper than that! I paid £45 the pair for some Wipac ones & I believe that good ones can be had for even less than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicVolvoShop View Post
There can be no daubt: Overdrive! - D-type - the fuzz about the "stronger" J-type is overreacted - D-type reduces 24% - and in the Amazon Estate's - that has to be the best upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
I'm not so fussed about the od but with a low ratio rear axle I should imagine it would be of more benifit. To a degree the od does not count as a modification as it was available from the factory.
Imho the estates are useless without o/d due to that low diff (5000rpm in top is just 80mph, so not fun) - o/d is a must, even for non-motorway use. CVS - doesn't the D also 'over-drive' more than the J (or was that what you were referring to)?

Quote:
4) change to 195/60 15 tyres. Many will not agree about this but for me they massivly improve the road holding and I see no reason to take advantage of modern technology
I agree about modern technology - however 195/60 reduces the rolling radius, and thus also the gearing. Even 195/65 is undersized - the next size up from 165R15 that is the closest in diameter & easily available, is 205/65.

Compared to 165R15:
195/60 - 7% smaller diameter
195/65 - 4.1% smaller diameter
205/65 - 2.1% smaller diameter

Quote:
5) stalk dip conversion. I hate the floor dip

7) interia real seat belts. Saves the hassle of haveing to adjsut the seat belt
I actually prefer the fixed belts & the main beam dip on the floor!

Quote:
Modifications I hate the most,
3) Minilight wheels. They just look silly on a amazon to me. I can understand why ppl do use them though.
Agreed - can't stand them. Very cliched, and it's not as if they were the only aftermarket wheel available back in the day either. Amazons also share their PCD with a lot of US Fords (inc Mustangs) & some Mopar cars, which opens up a whole range of great wheels!

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote