View Single Post
Old Feb 13th, 2019, 19:58   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
I've rebuilt and bench tested enough starters to be confident in my description.
The solenoid can absolutely 100% be operated without the main starter being energised in fact the main starter can only be energised if the solenoid has been activated in the first place to bridge the permanent live feed to the brush pack.

Without independent solenoid operation, the brushes receive no voltage.
Ever had a starteer turn very slowly for no apparent reason? That's usually the contacts in the solenoid burned. The pull-in solenoid is earthing out through the brushes and the starter turns slowly as a result - this is also useful to help engage the drive pinon with the flywheel.

I've stripped and reconditioned thousands of starters and alternators in my time, some by the side of the road to get a breakdown sorted (obviously they weren't fully reconditioned) and i know this is how almost all of them are wired - do an internet search using the same terms as i described above - you will see this is the case.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote