View Single Post
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 16:57   #1
toniln74

Default Bulb failure dipped beam -D1S XENON

Hi guys,
I have an issue with PHILIPS D1S XENON on my Volvo XC90 D5 185hp 2008. Here it is: Over the last few days my LHS bulb keeps going out, sometimes after 5, 10 or 15 minutes and a short flickering and there is a message ‘’bulb failure dipped beam’’. When I switch it off and on again it’s fine for about 5-15 minutes and again it goes out. But sometimes it keeps working without failure throughout the whole journey, roughly 1 hour. I have to point out that when I initially turn on the lights they are always on.
If it’s got anything to do with the bulb it might fail at first or after every restart so I lean towards something else e.g.loose connection when it gets hot or so…
Is there any weak spot that is a common issue with these headlights?
Could it be a faulty bulb, ballast or anything else? I will try swapping the bulbs first and see if there is no change next I’ll swap the ballasts. I was also told not to use any electrical spray in order to clean the contacts since there is a high voltage and it can lead to bigger damage. Does that make any sense? Any suggestions to track down the reason behind this weird situation? And one more question-shall I stick to original D1S bulbs like OSRAM, PHILIPS, HELLA etc. or I can buy cheaper ones but they can damage the ballast as well ,that’s what I was told.
Thank you in advance.
toniln74 is offline   Reply With Quote