Thread: General: - E46 Bi-Xenon (budget) retrofit
View Single Post
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 11:36   #108
wanamees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidonas View Post
I've posted this on "swedespeed" as well but just in case some Europeans are considering retrofitting as well, here's a comparison between H7 base E46 replica and D2S base AL/Kendrion Gen2 projectors from a Chevy Camaro.

Link: https://imgur.com/a/k5ACCKK

A few things to note:

1) Gradual cutoff: while clear lens mods are highly sought after in the retrofitting community, I found the shard cutoff lines between light and dark to be straining and distracting;
2) No colour flicker at the cutoff: a plus in my eyes, as I found it distracting;
3) Much wider output: in the close-up comparison pictures the car was even further away from the wall in the first shot (with the replicas). Easier to make turns on completely dark roads as you pretty much get at least some illumination ~150 degress around the car.

To top it all off, with the prices of the projectors on eBay being so low, this is actually a cheaper way to retrofit if you're going the D2S route.

Out of interest.
Do camaro ones fit 1:1 without modifications? Sizing and hole fitment?
You retrofitted them to prefacelift or facelift?

They do look quite a lot wider, but not sure if it is because of projector cup design or the lens beeing milky/dotted?
You can see, the light output is tiny bit weaker, but decent amount wider.

Using foglights with leds will widen view of field quite a lot.
But the foglights will blind oncoming traffic, although they are aimed to hit floor (even those cheap chinese leds are quite strong). Useless in high intensity traffic, at least without modding.

"2) No colour flicker at the cutoff: a plus in my eyes, as I found it distracting;"
Seems to be issue with hids (hid or bulb spedific), because with leds the cutoff seems quite uniform.

----

These pictures are without foglights. Some photos taken with nightmode.
Although a bit narrow, they are super strong.

http://www.jipikaje.ee/volvo/examples.jpg
wanamees is offline   Reply With Quote