Thread: General: - E46 Bi-Xenon (budget) retrofit
View Single Post
Old Jan 20th, 2020, 19:54   #109
Sidonas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Thanks
How do you find it when driving at pitch black, makes a big difference or hb3 still provides main source?
I can't really tell which one ends up being the main source of light. I have mostly been driving around town these past few weeks so I couldn't really test it out. I'll post up some pics after I've had a chance to properly test them out.

This is how it looks on a wall:
https://imgur.com/a/IH3TjxA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanamees View Post
Out of interest.
Do camaro ones fit 1:1 without modifications? Sizing and hole fitment?
You retrofitted them to prefacelift or facelift?

They do look quite a lot wider, but not sure if it is because of projector cup design or the lens beeing milky/dotted?
You can see, the light output is tiny bit weaker, but decent amount wider.

Using foglights with leds will widen view of field quite a lot.
But the foglights will blind oncoming traffic, although they are aimed to hit floor (even those cheap chinese leds are quite strong). Useless in high intensity traffic, at least without modding.

"2) No colour flicker at the cutoff: a plus in my eyes, as I found it distracting;"
Seems to be issue with hids (hid or bulb spedific), because with leds the cutoff seems quite uniform.

----

These pictures are without foglights. Some photos taken with nightmode.
Although a bit narrow, they are super strong.

http://www.jipikaje.ee/volvo/examples.jpg
Yes, they are 1:1 fit. They also have a perfect rotational alignment. Mine's a pre-facelift model. As far as I'm aware, bowl shape is the main determinant of the beam shape. Lens plays a minor role as well but it's less important.

Are these H7 RHD ones from theretrofitlab? Your beam step-up shape is a little different to the ones I had ( "_-" vs "_/"). Who knows, perhaps they've also made some adjustments to the lens itself, as yours look to have no flicker at all.

As for the width and intensity comparison between the replicas and the originals, both the intensity and the width were greatly improved, as I didn't just change the projectors but also went from Chinese H7-base bulbs to high end D2S Osrams. The pictures just don't do them justice due to automatic contrast/brightness adjustment on the phone's camera.

Last edited by Sidonas; Jan 20th, 2020 at 20:04.
Sidonas is offline   Reply With Quote