View Single Post
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 21:49   #18
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

Part of the problem is the absurd idea that white or blue-tinted light illuminates better than standard off-white or selective yellow, when the simple fact is it's bollocks. Ever tried driving a modern german car (or Range Rover) in the fog with those silly LEDs plastered all over the front end? All you see is mist.

Pop some selective yellow bulbs in an old banger with reflector lamps though, and you're laughing because the yellow cuts through the fog. Also notice how it's the modern cars with white or blue lights that hurt your eyes more? I passed a Golf the other day where the owner had put some selective yellow bulbs in, and even before they switched the high beam off, it still wasn't dazzling me. Meanwhile the early 2000's Audi S3 following it had some blue (HID?) bulbs plonked into their standard reflectors and I couldn't see a thing because of the glare.

A few have mentioned headlamp aim - As of the changes in MOT regulations in May, the limits of headlamp aim have become even more lax than they already were, which may explain part of it. Good friend of mine is an MOT tester and some of the changes in May are utterly bonkers, but he told me it's almost impossible to fail on headlamp aim now. Vans are also an issue simply because the headlights are mounted higher. Factor in the distance an average van driver follows you at, and their headlights are shining directly into your rear view mirror.

In short, there was never any problem with standard reflector or projector headlamps. LED, HID, Xenon and all the rest were a pointless way to charge extra money. In the case of new Mercs, BMWs, Audis and Range Rovers it seems to work because I get dazzled by one every journey it seems.
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KerPLoD For This Useful Post: