View Single Post
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 17:43   #6
dhr90

I visited possibly 10 different dealerships while hunting for my current car, and the contrast between salesmen and brands or salesmen within the same brand but at different dealerships was amazing.

Some just were very interested in helping, but as soon as they heard what I was interested in (medium sized estate car with a very firm upper budget and a few must haves in spec), they started offering up SUV's that were 25% over budget.
Another was amazed that I didn't like the ride of the sports suspension on that model and preferred my old car (I stated from the outset I only wanted to be comfortable, not to drive a racing car and still insisted the sports model had the same suspension as the premium model, despite the brochures themselves stating differently), and was quite rude to me after the event.

I did have a deposit on a car 2 hours away, when I got there I discovered the leather seats in a family car were so bucketed I couldn't get comfy after just a 20 minute test drive so I asked for my deposit back. 3 different salesmen claimed to be unable to find my paperwork and that my refund would have to wait until after the weekend (being end of the tax year they were clearly manipulating figures). Left a very bad taste with me.

The dealer I bought my car from, slightly better, not at all pushy, but definitely could have done more when it came to communication that I asked for during the purchase process and while it was being prepared.

As for being distracted by sporting events, I can kinda understand, but letting that get in the way of your job is unacceptable to me and would mean I'd be going elsewhere too, even if I liked the cars.
Working in sales myself, I found 2 colleagues watching the match at the weekend instead of working (this then led to something not being ready despite one of said colleagues promising it to the customer). I don't find this acceptable and puts me off if I go elsewhere.