View Single Post
Old Jan 19th, 2022, 08:40   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

A true 'calibration' is not performed, it's merely a reset to ensure the guage is reading full after a service. Otherwise it would continue to give the pre-service level indication until 30km had been covered, which would obviously be confusing to the owner.

If a 'headroom' is required in the sump to allow for rising levels then the gauge will simply take account of this as - unlike a physical dipstick - the eDispstick response can (and is) tweaked with software updates when the VEA oil loading volume requirements are updated.

When I first got my Volvo I obsessed over the eDipstick. I only trusted it after running diagnostics to show the sump level sensor readings (in mm) and discussing it in depth with the technical lead at my local dealership (who genuinely seemed thrilled that someone was showing an interest!). After three years of ownership I gave up accessing the gauge and simply relied on the 'add 0.5L' warning message to let me know a top-up was due. I never once had an overfull message and will continue to believe that diesel getting into the sump is NOT something that should ever be expected. I know that most people will blame multiple aborted regen cycles but I'm convinced it's a sign of a dribbling injector.