View Single Post
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 00:05   #27
MacV70T5
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjp View Post
Sorry to say Oilydad but many cyclists do have Insurance and are not even aware of it.
As cyclists are a very low risk it is often an extension of other policies, also, a family policy from a cycling organization only costs about £30pa.
Realistically how many times do cyclists hit cars sufficiently badly to cause damage over excess?
The last time a car hit me, him speeding at 60 in a 30 limit, my expensive racer was totalled, I was knocked unconciuos and I still have the scars. I was riding to my delivery job! The car had no damage at all as most of the energy of the collision was absorbed by me! This type of `incident` is most common when bikes are involved.
Motorcyclists also usually come off much worse when in collision with a car.
My attitude to cyclists is that they do have a right to be on our roads and it is our responsibility as car drivers to be aware of them, in the same way that I am aware of motorcycles. As an ex biker of a few years ago (Kawasaki Z1100) I learned at a very early stage to drive defensively and never rely that a car driver had seen me, the same goes for cyclists who take it for granted that all car and truck drivers have seen them. Never take anything for granted.
Due to the increase in fuel costs I can see more and more cyclist using the roads and the programme of cycle lanes should be increased. Have a look at some of them that have not been finished and those that have the number of drivers that use them. Lets get back to good old scooter days, they were cheap to run.
MacV70T5 is offline   Reply With Quote