Thread: Engine: D52447: - Dreaded core plug failure D5 2003
View Single Post
Old Mar 14th, 2014, 20:47   #7
JohnL

Well the engine is now finally out!
The biggest issue is that the bevel awd box has to come off as well, as it covers 2 bolts completely that go into the gearbox, which also means the the r/h wheel and drive shaft has to come out.
I've had to take off bevel box anyway as needed to change the awd coupling.
I left the rear engine mount, and the torque rod at the front. Placed a block of wood between the gearbox and the subframe just below where the starter is mounted. Lifted the engine more on the r/h side, so the sump would clear the subframe. the engine only needs about 2 and half inches to clear the torque converter, make sure that it stays on the gear box and doesn't come with the flywheel.
I removed the crank sensor, it will need a clean anyway to get the metal filings off it and the EGR valve and the vacuum pump on the rear of the block, but the fuel pump can stay on.
You have to disconnect the fuel pipes by the r/h wheel, the pressure line has a special sealing quick release joint, I made a tool to disconnect it with a piece of nylon, it was a cable clamp with a nail attached, ground back the nail holding part and ground a leading edge, it has a slot to fit over the tube.
The alternator has to come off, and the air conditioning compressor, but no need to let the gas out.
I took off the timing belt cover as well.
Mine is a lefthand drive so not sure where the servo is on a r/h drive and where the abs valve is located as well
I used a short chain between the 2 lifting points and didn't even have to remove the bonnet luckily.
I can take some pictures if that may help.
I just need to get the coupling off the gearbox for the awd somehow, I think I will grind some slots in there tomorrow.
I still think its a better option than pulling the gearbox off the engine, and lowering the subframe, but there is just a lot of unbolting.
I have borrowed an engine lifting crane.
There are also some parts that will need 2 people! I have done this in my garden outside made use of these super dry last days, hope it stays dry for the refit!
John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnL For This Useful Post: