Thread: V70: - V70 2000 W 2.5tdi
View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2019, 12:32   #10
Martin Cox
VOC Member

I had my pump timing done at Riverside Volvo Hull, who have serviced the car from new. I think the cost varies depending on how far out of adjustment it is.

I had mine done just under 2 years ago. If the timing is within a couple of degrees of correct, it can be set by tweaks to the idler and tensioner pulleys on the injection pump belt. I think the cost for that was £75.

If it's a bit further out it has to be adjusted by moving the injector pump drive pulley on the end of the camshaft which is a bit more involved and that was £165. Mine was out by 5 degrees after I'd got it all back together and running again which I thought was pretty good for pure guesswork on my part. Once it started, I stopped messing with it.

Tony, the Master Technician at Riverside really knows his stuff with these engines and got mine absolutely spot-on. It runs as well and as cleanly as it ever did.

Obviously if you're going to change the belts, which is a DIY proposition if you're keen, there's no point in getting the timing done until after they have been changed.

It's possible a Bosch Diesel Centre may also be able to do the pump timing although it's not an option I've explored.

There's nothing difficult over removing the injectors but I've no experience of getting them cleaned. My guess is that once the pump timing is right most of the problems will disappear. If not, then it's time for further thought.

The D5252T engine is basically an Audi AEL engine modified by Volvo and the appropriate Haynes manual for the Audi has some useful information.

With regard to the water pump, I wouldn't use anything but the genuine Volvo item. I did replace mine when I had it all in bits but it wasn't necessary. The original pump was still perfect. Most aftermarket pumps do not have a good reputation. I think the genuine article was £89 so far as I remember but if the original pump is still sound I'd leave it there.

There's a strong argument for using genuine Volvo belts and tensioners which is what I chose to do, although Gates belts have a good reputation. The genuine stuff is not a lot more expensive so given how critical it is I didn't think it worth chancing aftermarket parts.

I hope this is of some help.

Martin

Martin
Martin Cox is offline   Reply With Quote