View Single Post
Old Sep 9th, 2018, 12:36   #23
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
I have not used, am ignorant, as to the electric tool Dave recommended. Can it by the way truly torque set tightening if the crankshaft is not held in position to be tightened against? And I fear some less experienced people, or people with cheapo versions of that tool, might seriously over or under tighten using that tool.

Yes. The tool you obtained would be a godsend. It might have been made DIY by a forum member but I'd have to search back to find that.
Yes it can Stephen. :thumbs-up:

My first experience of that tool was in fact on the crank pulley bolt on an 827 - undid the bolt with ease without even turning the engine a millimetere and same when doing it up. You set the torque in Nm using the buttons on the top, the set level of torque is displayed until you start using it then it displays the torque it has achieved until it reaches the preset level then it flashes the display to let you know you are there.

First thing i did when i got home after was buy one from Amazon. As long as the torque is entered correctly, they're idiot-proof.

As for the crankshaft locking tool, if it was home-made, i know of a member that used to make them, 827Roverman. However, somewhere on the relevant thread he did post something to the effect they wouldn't be available until further notice. Whether there are other members that have made them, i don't know but that 12v electric impact wrench does the job happily.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: