Thread: Electrical: - Wiper Motor queries
View Single Post
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 10:55   #3
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Comparing the original (later) Volvo 240 wiper motor and the SWF - putting aside this difference where the motor goes through the firewall - they seem to operate exactly the same, but looking inside them, they appear to be quite different designs. The Volvo one appears to have more components in it, and the brush mounting part of it looks better quality, and it would be easier to check or change the brushes in it as opposed to the SWF motor. I have now refurbed the original Volvo one, and I'll just put that one back in and be done with it. (BTW the problem the Volvo one had was that one of the magnets had come loose - a common issue - de-rusted it, epoxy glued it back and it's fine).

And also - to follow-up my own question about brushes:
Firstly - the original Volvo wiper motor has brushes of these dimensions: 6mm x 4mm profile, and when new the brush would have been 10-11mm long. They have braided wire of around 40mm coming from the 4mm face. There are three of them in a wiper motor.

Anyhow - I tried to source replacement brushes as part of the refurb, and... the fella at Brookhouse kindly contacted the people who refurb motors for them, and the information that came back was that apparently when they refurb wiper motors, rarely have the brushes worn out and therefore usually don't need replacing.

But if there was a damaged brush, there are plenty of generic motor brushes available, and it seems that graphite can easily be shaped by abrasives, if the exact size wasn't available.

The brushes in mine looked short - around 8-9mm - but I'll take that advice and just re-use them and see how it goes.

Thanks
John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle_Jim For This Useful Post: