View Single Post
Old Sep 22nd, 2011, 21:23   #11
KruJoe

Smile For sale until this Sunday...?

Right, let me put this out there.
The car is worth more to me as a breaker, and I think it is as valuable to me as anyone. It is worth £650 to me right now. If anyone wants to come and buy it off me before this Sunday, I will let it go if it means it lives on in the hands of an enthusiast, no messing for £700, including tax until the end of January.
There it is.
But as you know, you could probably find a much smarter, lower mileage one for £700, so after the weekend I'll cash in the tax and start breaking it. Yes, it's sad, but that's the way the market is these days. You've seen the link to the auction, it reached £313rnm. That's the value the market gave it on that day. His reserve was £600. I bought it for less than that, quite a lot less, but it cost me money not to work that day, buy a second hand A-frame, and fuel it home.

I have been on the lookout all year, since February, for an 850 auto saloon with cream filling to buy to break. I needed at least some T+T to avoid taking the pith getting it home. I was prepared to travel half the length of the country to get it, and to pay a fair price for a 15yo luxobarge. I haven't been spoilt for choice, but I have missed out on a few, not by much.

Please don't get me wrong, I really AM a sentimental old fool when it comes to cars. I love them, and I hate to see anything of any use thrown away. Look at my sig: three of those were saved from a certain death, just because it would be criminal not to give them a chance. The BX14 Preview is one of only seven at the last count and has worked hard as a daily and work vehicle every day since March. It's not to most people's tastes, but it is an interesting item of motoring history, and to see it used brings a smile to the faces of those in the know. Others would scrap it for smaller problems than I've had with it since then, but it deserves to live imho, and rewards me well.

The Lada Samara is a 1500GL, also one of just seven not yet scrapped. It bought it locally without T+T, on the brink of being weighed in. The old boy, who had cherished it for many years only let me have it after I promised a save, I paid him less than drive-in bridge price. I will not make money doing it up, but I will because I can, and at least the Autosh*te boys will appreciate it.

The Justy was also bought as a project but it is pear-rotten. It may still happen, but more likely broken to repair another when I find a nice pre-facelift one cheap.

It breaks my heart to hear of perfectly usable motors being driven to the bridge and fragged without a second thought. Such a waste. And all just because the owner can't be bothered with giving it a chance on the 'bay because of timewasters. In my opinion it's immoral not to at least an hour to remove some of the most useful parts so than another may live on.
So, I have spent all spring and summer trying to find a more 'terminal' 850 in the spec I need and have won nothing. I am sorry if I missed any on here, I didn't check the threads often. I didn't expect to end up with one this nice, but I sent off a cheeky email after it didn't sell and I didn't go over budget on it, so here it is. IT WILL NOT DIE IN VAIN. My Thai one will will go from the equivalent of a £200 shed to a pristine example after this winter's efforts. It will be something really special in that country.

And after 24 hours on here, there is clearly plenty of interest in the parts I don't need, and those I will be more than happy to carefully remove, pack up and send off to Volvo enthusiasts who really care about keeping their pride and joy on the road and in good shape. And I'll offer good value, too. The end of this 850's life will only make the remaining ones more special. To me, and most people, it is not special. It is an ageing, middle-of-the-road executive car, worth little more than scrap. It is not a useful old work-horse estate. It is not an economical people mover. It is not a turbo'd hooligan speciality.

If it is special to you (as my BX is to me), and you're interested at £700, the Mot runs out on 2nd August 2012. Tax 31/1/12. It has done only 700 miles since its test this summer. Everything works just fine. It's in my name but V5 isn't back yet, full receipt given. Other bad points: some damage to one door-card and thinning leather on the bolster as can be seen in my pics. A small dent on the bonnet, and another on the wing, but no damage to the patchy 'Pogweasel Pink' paintwork. Would polish up nicely back to bright red if you can be bothered. Some lacquer peeled from the spoiler. That's it. NO rust. Sunday the hammer falls.

If not, Steve, the interface unit has your name on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
Doors if they are 601 Classic Red... Where are you based?
I haven't inspected closely, but the doors seem straight and rot-free. Do you need all four? Is the paint code on the VIN tag - it didn't seem obvious..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KruJoe View Post
I'm in the Yorkshire Dales, by the way.
BD23, southern side.

Please read my waffly post, (it isn't a rant) and try to consider my thoughts on it before anyone has a go at a noob. Thanks. Any more parts enquiries, I'll do my best.