Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Jul 31st, 2020, 12:27   #1543
Othen
Premier Member

Default The Royal Barge's Roof

People may recall that the paint on the RB's roof was quite faded due to the sun when I bought it back in February - compounded by the awful shark's fin spoiler that I just had to remove (which left a brighter green patch beneath and where it had been stet).

I used this as an excuse to buy myself a mechanical polisher and have had a go at the roof this morn (it is a glorious day here). I was hoping for a miraculous improvement that scrubbed away the years, just like Ed China achieves on Wheeler Dealers. The outcome (after a scrub with the cutting compound and a good polish afterwards) is an definite improvement but isn't as good as I was hoping for.

I don't think I can go any deeper with the cutting compound without starting to rub through the paint, so I have a few options:

a. Get a professional respray - I think we can discount this from the outset, the car is Cyprus Metallic Green and would be almost impossible to match after 40 years - so the whole car would have to be prepared and painted, and it just isn't worth enough to make that viable.

b. Rattle can spray the roof myself - this is a good possibility, and wouldn't cost much (about £50 worth of Volvo 136 and some elbow grease). I have already done the boot (some months ago), which is okay - but isn't the same shade as the old paint surrounding it after all those photons hitting it for the past 40 years.

c. Rattle can the roof a different colour - probably black to match the tops of the wings. It might be okay - but might look a bit naff.

d. Leave it alone; accept the paint is 40 years old and give it a good polish to keep the sun and rain off from time to time.

... I'm thinking aloud with this one: option 'd' is probably the best way to go.

:-)
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: