View Single Post
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:52   #2
Symes
Master Member

I cleaned out the induction system of my d5 eu4 when changing the clutch, so the egr cooler and valve had to come off anyway... it was very 'gunked up' as was most of the pipework (a combination of air leaks and oil contamination, solved the air leaks but still have to find the source of the oil!).

The cooler wasn't actually too bad, but the valve was really caked and I thought it might have jammed as there was no evidence of the actuator shaft moving despite no related fault codes, I cleaned it off with carb cleaner and a 'carbon clean' spray designed for kitchen pots and pans (wow, does that work well!), along with careful scraping with a screwdriver returned the valve to a clean condition that looked functional instead of being a lumpy black mess. I didn't disassemble the solenoid from the valve body, nor did I test its operation on the bench, but I haven't had any egr codes thrown up.

From memory the egr valve could be removed without the cooler after the 'throttle' body is removed, so it might be worth trying a removal and clean, you should be able to test the solenoid more easily as well. I got away with reusing the gaskets too which saves a few quid!

If no one beats me to it I'll post the Vida parts diagram up when I get in this evening which might help too.