View Single Post
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 22:53   #9
Bugjam1999
Master Member

Thanks all,

I suppose before going to the trouble of changing the carb I could look for obvious faults. My hesitancy is that my self imposted limit of the mot on Friday afternoon is looming closer and I won’t be taking this car to retro rides on Saturday if it fails. Of course fitting the weber carb may not be trouble free either, but they’re a much simpler carb with an idle mixture screw that works - my impression, perhaps unfairly is that the idle adjustment of the Stromberg is temperamental at best. If I found an obvious problem with the Stromberg that I could fix (perhaps with parts from my spare Stromberg carb) then I suppose I’d be more inclined to risk the mot with this carb fitted.

The distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and leads are fairly new and the car runs well so I’m not pointing a finger at them yet. The dizzy is the original one with points in it, I have all the parts ready to swap to a later dizzy with a hall sensor and ignition amplifier, which I’m planning to fit before the mot as the only time the car has run poorly was because of points - and although I can fit them to spec I don’t know enough to start tinkering with gaps etc.

The air filter isn’t all that new, I’ll take it out and blow it out as best I can.

The timing I’ll set when infit the ‘new’ dizzy- remind me, was it 25degrees at a fast idle? I’ll have to check.

Dashpot oil... haven’t checked that. I believe I should take the dashpot out of the top of the carb and then fill with motor oil to... where?

Thanks,

Cheers
Bugjam1999 is offline   Reply With Quote