Thread: 440 1.8si mods
View Single Post
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 17:00   #3
Daniel M
Inbetween Volvo's...

Default RE: 440 1.8si mods

Hi...

It`s not going to be easy mod`in your 440-very few people cater for them. You can`t get a superchip for your model anymore-the only real thing i can think of is a full exhaust system inc. de-cat pipe, and an air filter to get a few extra bhp. Try need for speed, they are pretty good. All my stuff for my 440 came from there (other than ICE). You won`t find an after market exhaust either-again, no-one does one. You may be able to do a DIY job with a universal exhaust,but a custom one will look alot better, and it will fit alot better too. Powerflow have done both my 440`s, and they are really good quality.. Maybe a tad expensive at £140 ish for just a backbox, but it is a custom job, they are s/steel and they do look/sound sweet. www.powerflow.uk.com for your nearest dealer.

Bodykits...hmmm. Volvo made a bodykit for the very first, phase 1 440`s, but unless you want to transfer the old style bumpers to fit the extra spoilers, it won`t fit your model (i assume it`s a new shape 440, being an Si)-but you will have to search the scrapyards for this as they are few and far between-an original brand new kit from Volvo will cost just under £1,100-and it def. isn`t worth the cash. It looks nice when it`s all done, but get one second hand if you`re going to do it. Other than that, thats about all the styling you can do, unless you want to build something outrageous-but i assume you won`t be, having limited cash!

Feredo do a drilled and grooved disc and pad kit for the front of the car at about £100...but as to where to get this from im not sure. Your best bet will prob. be to go to a local Wilco Motorspares and ask them to do a search.

You could get some Volvo alloys from a scrapyard too. Some of the alloys on the later models look ok-the blade like 5-spokes are my fave-and a viable solution if you can`t afford massive alloys just yet.

So, there you go. Very good choice in car-it`s nice to have a bit of taste, and not go for something with a blue oval badge! But be careful-440`s can look dodgy-i`ve seen a few not done up right. They don`t look pretty! Subtle is the key with this motor!

Have fun. Dan

:: 440 2.0i SE, 1994, 306 Smoke Silver Metallic :: Sold
:: 440 1.7 GLEi, 1991, 219 Ocean Blue Metallic Metallic :: Sold
Daniel M is offline   Reply With Quote