Thread: Impact strength
View Single Post
Old Mar 17th, 2017, 20:21   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNEYROVER View Post
Parked up yesterday and just fastening granddaughter into car seat when an almighty bang at back of car and big Iveco van reversed into me. It went with a lot of force as threw wife and granddaughter forward. Luckily they had just got seat belts on and were ok. I dreaded looking at rear of car but couldn't believe what I saw. No visible damage, had a look underneath today and can`t see any damage so I recon got off lightly and that rear bumpers are much stronger than they appear..Reminds me of the old Volvos with sprung bumpers.
I wish i had £10 for every time i have heard that over the last 40 years concerning volvos ! There is a big beam across the rear just behind the bumper cover . It may have been pushed forwards a bit in the middle but i doubt there is any more damage , they will have to take the bumper cover off to check , If you have a towbar there is absorbent material between bumper cover and massive tow bar beam . ( the standard beam is removed when a towbar is fitted , only on new XC90 though )