View Single Post
Old Aug 15th, 2018, 14:17   #12
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Angie I don't want to misrepresent your air mass meter experience. I think you have bought a Volvo unit from Brookhouse which needed replacing, and the replacement is not entirely satisfactory so you are using a second hand air mass meter now? I was luckier. I bought for less from a Volvo dealer and it is fully satisfactory.

Re what fails how, from what I hear in the forum, "It Varies!"

e.g. that air mass meter. Yours was I think not so much a failure as poor performance of the car? Clifford describes a limp-home usable mode. My air mass meter failure left the car in nurse it home VERY gently mode. Almost un-driveable. Resting the car at frequent short intervals. I was not sure the car could get home and it was only a few miles.

e.g. the coolant temperature sensor. It is said downstairs in the 700/900 section those usually fail such that the engine will start including start when cold. But in that thread the item failed so that the car would not start from cold.

Hey ho. Life can be fun.

One good thing Angie is, you found those ceramic fuses that have brass or copper fusible wire, not aluminum. Those fuses should stop corrosion occurring at the fuse terminals, so far less chance of fuse problems. Cushti. Well done and thanks.

Clifford that is very useful advice of what is actually likely to fail, and how things are likely to fail, and a sequence of checking. Thank you.

I tend towards carrying spares, as well as my AA membership. As I've said, one can be unlucky with a particular patrolman. One could be pushed in to using a local garage for repair away from home, depends on T&C of Recovery. And maybe the local garage will fail with these modern classic cars. And...if I'm going from A to B I don't really want to be recovered back to A. That is the fail safe protection I have had since the AA offered Recovery as an option. But If I'm going to B I want to go there, and if I get recovered to B I might then be stranded trying get a repair. EEK.

Thanks to all who have contributed in this thread. I've learnt from you all.

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Aug 15th, 2018 at 14:20.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: