View Single Post
Old Aug 31st, 2018, 08:16   #18
rusty244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
It's very flattering to be asked, but I'm no expert - it's just an accumulation of things I've tried over the years that have tended to work for me. Anything else, I'm as ignorant as the next person.
What would be really useful would be something like you suggest, but expanded with some technical detail from a real expert, as to what these components actually do, what goes wrong, how they fail, perhaps how to diagnose properly rather then just swapping things until it works.

I'm sure we used to have people who had this level of technical/electrical expertise, but we don't get their contributions to threads any more.
There's a lot of this kind of thing on Brickboard - they do technical stuff in much more detail over there - but their models are different and most owners seem to be much more technically-fluent than we are.

For example, I discovered that "LH 2.4" is not a single identical system running unchanged for the duration, but was continuously modified over time with upgraded specifications.
(I found this when I noticed that mine has a 5th injector underneath the inlet manifold, apparently for cold-starts. It's an early version, actually "LH 2.4 :1" or some such designation. Although using the same Crank Position Sensor, the processor responds in a slightly different way.
I was worried when I got the car (1991) that it was a bit slower to start than my previous 1993. But that's normal - later cars pick up the flywheel position immediately so my 93 would fire up almost before I'd released the key. The earlier one needs one complete revolution before it knows where it is, so starts after 2 seconds of cranking. )

Not many people know this, and most swear that LH2.4 has 4 injectors only.
Great info, I was wondering why my recently acquired Nov 1990 b200f turns over for a few secs more than I would expect to start up despite being seemingly in great shape.
rusty244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty244 For This Useful Post: