View Single Post
Old Apr 28th, 2017, 22:09   #28
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by diro View Post
What is a mileage of your car mate?
And what grade of engine oil do you use?

It can be. Cleaned DPF is not the same as brand new. When DPF is reasonably clogged but still in operational regeneration condition the exhaust gases reach much higher temperatures nearly up to the limits where the engine itself have to work at higher temperatures too. Especially oil which gets thinner at those temperatures and you have high oil consumption. Besides burn oil debris accumulate and burn on the cylinder walls, piston rings, valves etc. Even a brand new turbo can burn engine oil dramatically because of the DPF.
Compression test is recommended and is a low cost procedure. Low compression can be a consequences of the DPF issues
For the higher mileage cars it would be better to use 5w30 engine oil instead of 0w50 which is thin.
5w30 will not do any harm to the engine. It even can be better. I have noticed a huge better difference to the engine performance, engine noise when switched from 0w30 to 5w30 for cars which made 80-100k miles and above.
There is no very low subzero temperatures in the UK so 0w30 is not essential.
I use 05 w30 mobile a5b5.

The DPF is not causing the oil burning, period.

the oil burning is clogging the DPF.

I agree a compression test but I have the option of swopping the PCV valve so I am going to look at that tomorrow.

really like to know if the rings can be changed without removing engine, I figuew if the sump can come off can you access the ends of the con rods from underneath....
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote