Thread: Lights left on
View Single Post
Old Sep 24th, 2020, 00:22   #31
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Why do you worry about manually matching the use of your headlights to the degree of darkness?

One of the reasons to have dipped lights on is to increase the chances of being seen in marginal visibility conditions which do not require the lights for you to illuminate the road ahead but in which the reaction time by other drivers to seeing that a vehicle is approaching might be reduced. The cost of having the dipped lights on is marginal while the risk reduction might be all important as you cannot rely upon the ability of other drivers to see you quickly enough to avoid their own incompetences. As Clan says, let the car drive the way Volvo intended it to. Volvo do have a reputation for safety and the lighting system is part of that regime.
This is what I've done in every other car that I've owned, simply because they didn't have DRL's. As the previous owner turned the DRL's off, I've left them that way (Lights are off when not required, side lights are used when its not quite dark enough to use dipped lights & then the dipped lights are used when its dark or conditions/visibility are bad - All done "manually", which involves turning a switch myself ).

I'm more than capable of making my own decisions as to whether I use the lights or not, so much so that it isn't a "worry" about turning the lights on manually to match the degree of darkness, its common sense & a natural habit. I don't think its a big deal to turn a switch...

Its not a legal requirement to have operational DRL's on my car either, as its older than 2018 (nor is it an MOT failure, due to the age of the car).

Last edited by Kev0607; Sep 24th, 2020 at 00:32.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: