View Single Post
Old Jul 4th, 2020, 12:29   #23
James_EG_940
Felonious Fanatic

I did a full cooling system overhaul on my 940 this January. Probably one of the easier jobs to do. I replaced all the rubber hoses in the engine bay with genuine Volvo ones, thermostat with 82' genuine volvo, water pump with SKF one off ebay, radiator with Nissens one. Seals and gaskets from Volvo and new stainless steel jubilee clips all round. New expansion tank and cap too from Volvo, genuine volvo coolant as well.

I flushed a good 10 loads through the system and back flushed through the heater core and block etc. A lot of grim gunk came out of that as I don't think it had been done in a long, long time! I had a pretty serious leak as well which I couldn't pinpoint, turned out to be the oil cooler hoses. They looked good outwardly but actually they were completely destroyed and split open once you applied pressure to them (think chinese finger trap), it explained why the system would leak enormously when filled up but then stop and never really go down beyond a certain level.

It does look like these parts are being run down stock wise though! My radiator was under £60 when I bought it and I see they are up to £100 now on ebay. Also all the rubber hoses were still in stock but were special order from the "Volvo Classic Parts" warehouse in Sweden so took a while to arrive. They were all top quality, genuine hoses made in Sweden or Poland and were Codan branded for the most part. I got all the genuine bits from FRF in Swansea and was under £200 delivered for everything!

It's still such a novelty to open the bonnet and see the lovely blue green coolant and that the level hasn't changed since I last looked!

Please PM if you know of any black 940s being broken! I'm really keen for a driver's door and both front wings! Paint code 19-23
James_EG_940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James_EG_940 For This Useful Post: