View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 09:13   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDiesel2006 View Post
Hi Elan and thank you for getting back to me. I must admit I am confused. I don't see how one can manually move the EGR valve up and down against the spring as the top of the valve stem is welded to a cage that sits over a cam on the end of the (stepper?) motor in the EGR housing. So the only way to move the valve is to rotate the cam. The attached picture shows what I thought I was looking at. So when I said I could move it a few degrees I was referring to being able to turn the valve stem and cam housing very slightly on its axis.

I assumed that the EGR motor was a stepper motor that rotated the cam that pushed down and opened the valve. The amount of travel was measured by the Position Sensor probe that rests on the top of the cage going around the cam. Then that motion is translated into a signal that feeds back to the ECM.

I haven't tried to undo the 4 torx screws holding the cream motor cover in place believing that a) there would not be sufficient space to separate the cam and valve stem cage and b) I might loosen springs or brushes that I wouldn't be able to put back. Am I wrong here and can the valve and motor cam be separated?

Thank you for the help.

Chris
right , nice picture there … and you have the theory correct ...you should be able to press down on the cage and open the EGR valve against spring pressure and it should spring closes on it's own the motor will turn to accommodate that , If it will not move then either the motor is seized or the EGR valve is stuck , It is more likely the motor is stuck … It is a conventional electric motor, not a stepper motor .