View Single Post
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 23:58   #29
TurboDiesel2006
V70 D5 185 Owner

Update on the fix, well I'm not sure.

I was rather daunted by the prospect of tracing poor connections and/or earth so I read the whole of the Skintknuckles post 'A puzzle for the EGR valve expert/masochist..' as previous research told me they had looked at this in depth. One comment caught my eye on this second reading - that the EGR, Position sensor and turbo control all went via the same fuse. So more than in hope than expectation I checked it and sure enough it was blown.

Hallelujah all the problems would be solved with a simple fuse swap. No, the car was not giving up that easily. I changed the fuse but the car was still on low power. Hmmm, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement.

But I had to be onto something because although the Engine System Service and Soot Filter messages were still there the EGR fault codes had gone. But the EGR and Position Sensor were still not working with the EGR parameter reading still showing 100% irrespective of engine load and the EGR Position Sensor also static.

The other strange thing was that I now had a new fault code ECM-135F Mass Air Flow Sensor Signal to High. A quick check revealed the swirl actuator had become disconnected. This was quickly fixed but the ECM-135F code remained. Searching for ideas I did an Adaptation of the Mass Air flow Sensor and started the engine. I immediately knew it was running better from the tickover and a quick check showed the EGR valve and EGR Sensor were finally moving. A short road test showed all 185 horses had come home and I felt the shove of the turbo for first time in a couple of months. I then cleared all the codes and another road test confirmed the power was back and the Engine System Service Required message did not come back.

The difficulty is that I can't pin-point exactly what fixed the problem. The fuse was definitely the link between the EGR, the Sensor and the turbo but why didn't they work when it was replaced and their error codes disappeared? And why did the Mass Air Flow sensor problem suddenly appear? It is a mystery which leaves me slightly less than convinced it is fully fixed.

I think for my own peace of mind a good long run is probably required to get everything properly warm and settled in. Of course the motoring gods are ever restless and the ABS light flicked on and off just for a second on my second test drive so I can't relax too much.
TurboDiesel2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurboDiesel2006 For This Useful Post: