View Single Post
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 19:38   #10
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
I know a chap had one of those as a company car, his verdict, you don't want one of them, absolutely gutless was his opinion and truthfully a 1600 engine in a near 2 tonne car is never going to be anything other than hard work.

For the size of car a 2ltr is absolute minimum in my view, 2.5 is proven to work well, yes I know the vea engines are only 2 ltr but having driven one I much preffer the lazy power of my 2.4 D5.

It's a bit like the 1300 Cortina mk3 good idea on paper, rubbish on the road and constant caneing of the engine ment they quickly needed maintenance. Again 1600 was a minimum and 2000 pleasent given the size of car.

My advise would be return it if you can and buy a proper one.

Paul.
Slightly off topic, on occasions I used to drive a Cortina Mark V 1.3 and it was horrible. The top (4th) gear was something like 14.8 mph/1000 rpm, which was a shorter gear than 3rd for most cars. That made motorway speeds unbearable.

That V70 1.6 possibly drives a bit like my first car - a Ford Zephyr Mk 4 V4. That was underpowered and slow to accelerate and I therefore used to ogle V6 Zephyrs with an envious eye.

However, top gear was a reasonable 19.6 mph/1000 rpm and it could cruise at 75mph all day long up motorway hill and down motorway dale.

I suspect from the OP's description that the issue with the V70 isn't just engine size. I once had a Passat 1.6 turbodiesel as a courtesy car and that was underpowered in some respects but not as badly as a 1.6 petrol engine would have been. It was fast off the mark and a good cruiser, but it was occasionally found wanting when it came to overtaking.

Having a diesel engine with the accompanying higher torque will compensate for engine size to some extent, and the official performance figures suggest that if I'd had that V70's performance in my first car then I'd have been bragging about my 112mph top speed (faster than a Granada 3 litre) and not envious at all.

In short it sounds as though there's a fault of some kind.
Sotosound is online now   Reply With Quote