Thread: 850 T5 newbie
View Single Post
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 20:25   #8
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marko View Post
cheers for the replies folks,

im not wanting to go to mad with the T5 just some nice punchy midrange id be happy with 300hp and shed loads of toque all through the rev range.

the suspension is in top shape the previous owner has just replaced all the bushes a month before i purchased the car. i cant really complain about the brakes either, then again i havent really pushed it.

the reason i bought the T5 is because im going mad with the gt4 so its no longer usable as a daily driver..as a daily driver the T5 wins hands down and i like the sleeper appeal
Hi Marko,

300 bhp is going to cost you alot of wonga, TBH, you will need a custom remap and a new exhaust system at the very least to get to that mark...However with a MTE/Rica remap or chip, you can expect using the existing exhaust to get a credible 260 BHP or so, depending on the dyno.
I would recommend that you come along to a meet in your area to sample some cars with remaps for yourself. You can then decided if the additional umph is worth the wonga. (It is!!)
Another cheap way to gain torque is tho install a MBC (manual boost controller) which will elliminate the factory bleed valve, thus delaying the opening of the wastegate..This is a popular method of power increase but is not without its issues. It will be important to ensure your Air/Flow ratio is correct so it may be necessary to employ a AFR meter and a adjustable fuel pressure regulator...These are not expensive items but will push the price up towards a remap. A cockpit boost gauge is always recomended with DIY power...
It is also important to make sure your car is in tip-top condition before you try to get extra power. I would make sure a Stage 0 tune up is carried out http://www.volvoforumsrepairs.org.uk...irs/stage0.htm and that the fuel pressure is checked to be correct (around 3 bar)...
Provided the AFR is true the engines themselves are great for well over 300 horses IMO, the auto boxes are a weak link but this can be helped greatly with additional cooling.....
Cheers
Jod
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/announ....php?f=16&a=40

Last edited by Jod T5; Sep 9th, 2008 at 20:27. Reason: **** spelling
Jod T5 is offline   Reply With Quote