View Single Post
Old Dec 22nd, 2016, 09:39   #13
TopSkateDog

Just one point to note. The red is dye. If does fade with use. Brown ATF is not necessarily compromised. Smell testing, and or blackening are evidence of either thermal degradation or contamination, but let's not make out that ATF not being cherry red is NECESSARILY a problem.

I ran an S70 auto for 10 years, and whilst I can't lay claim to intergalactic mileage as some in the US drive, I did drive c 200k miles in that time, and included ATF changes as part of my servicing rationale for the car. When we parted, it had around 280k miles on the clock, and the engine and transmission (both original, both regularly serviced) were both strong, reliable, and showing no evidence of being anything other than completely servicable.

The transmission exhibited no apparent slippage, harshness or anything untoward, and I saw no degradation to it's behaviour from start to finish. From the perspective of engine and transmission, I would say that both would have easily taken several more 100ks of milieage with no detriment.
TopSkateDog is offline   Reply With Quote