Thread: Engine 850: B5234TR/2.3/20v/T5R: - Sooty Plugs, judder at low revs
View Single Post
Old Dec 8th, 2007, 10:43   #4
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinity1 View Post
how many pipes am i looking for re the boost leak is it the main one that runs'under' the block,or is there any more?? i had simlier probs this week,the old juddering trying to stall business,im sure its a boost leak but having checked it and rechecked it i cannot for the life of me find it,so do i just replace the elbows and the hose ??? can it run over top of the block or does it have to be re routed to where it was???
help!!
the main culprit on the later 850's is the elbow at the side of the inlet manifold, i have mentioned before that this elbow does leak boost and is ubdetectable as you can see the split due to its location, nor can you hear it leak as it will always be at vacuum when the car is at idle....to check security remove the elbow at the other end of the pipe from the PCV valve and put your thumb over the end..There should be a definate suck
if there is not a good suck then it is likely either your elbow is split or your pipework has broken behind the inlet manifold..both eventualities means loss of boost...
The solution is of course to redo the PCV system which may not be practical at the time so you cab rig a temporary feed using 4mm hose from the inlet manifold elbow (heat elbow in water first to expand) fixing it on with long nosed pliers, the elbows come with a fitting sleeve with goes inside your 4mm hose and can be secured with cable tie

running the hose under the fuel rail, round the block, below the dizzy and onto the PCV valve nipple...

Pipes to change....
Inlet to Pcv...
compressor to BCS
actuator to BCS
Inlet manifold to recirc-valve
Intet manifold to EVAP...would be a good start.....
Give your actuator arm a good tug to make sure its working ok...a weak spring will lose your boost...try moving the arm back and forth towards the turbo.....you may want to fit a MBC to test the arms efficiency....
cheers
jod