View Single Post
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 15:08   #6
Odysseus

Thanks for the responses and kind words, and I most certainly defer to your expertise in the field of the navigation, SwissXC90! Great advice and I'll be ordering a disc soon.

I had a useful phone call with a Volvo indy I trust and have used before (Kings of Witcham) about a check over and servicing. We had a long chat about the car, the age, the service record, and so on.

The basic thrust of the conversation was it doesn't need a timing belt as it's not due for another 30,000 miles. It doesn't need an engine oil change as that was only done by Volvo 1,500 miles ago. It doesn't need the gearbox or Haldex oil changing unless it's showing problems (which so far and touch wood it isn't), so there's no need for them to do anything to it for now. This is quite some advice from an indy who would have been quids in from the work and definitely means they are in my good graces for future jobs.

I will however be keeping a close eye on the gear changes and other things and take appropriate action should issues arise. I'm definitely not averse to spending money on the car to fix problems but I'm not going to spend cash when I don't need to.

I spoke with the trader where I bought the car who seemed hopeful the second key may yet arrive. Assuming he's being honest, and at this point he has no reason not to be, the second key often comes through from his supplier eventually, as the fleet back office staff work through their backlog. Therefore I'll give it a month or so before I stump up the £300 Volvo want for a new key.

I also called the offices of Sir Robert McAlpine who owned the car previously in an effort to track down the missing luggage cover. It turns out the car was previously used by one of their directors (and was on the plate 9MCA - probably worth more than the Volvo was new) and the contact was a chauffeur who no longer works in the business. The trail has therefore gone cold on this one. Ah well, it was worth a shot.

In other news, the detailing people came and and did a thorough clean of the interior. I was half thinking I've wasted £100 on the basis that they might not be able to get much of the grime out but OH MY GOODNESS. The filth they got out the head lining alone was disgustingly impressive. I have a feeling they'll be uploading pictures of the work to their own website which I will link to when it's available, but rest assured I now think it was an absolute bargain. Two people here for 2.5 hours and all I had to provide was electricity (and two cups of tea), and the car interior is transformed.

Thanks for reading.
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote