Thread: Other XC90 Problem: - Excessive smoke (inconsistently)
View Single Post
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 10:11   #20
dingov70
Master Member

[QUOTE=SwissXC90;2644330]Glow plugs are only used to start the engine, they have no role whatsoever in the running of the engine, so completely unrelated to your oil problem.

You may have worn oil seals in the turbo, sucking oil into the intake manifold.

Swiss , if this was occurring , it would most likely lead quickly to a runaway engine , as the oil is burnt as unregulated fuel . Oil does get sucked into the inlet side of the turbo as an action of the crank case ventilation system , so oil is always going to be present . My concern / point of interest would be the exhaust turbine seal leaking oil into the downstream pipework and coating the DPF with oil . As things heat up the engine gas temperatures cause the oil to burn off and any that has worked its way through the DPF will then lead to smoke from the tailpipe

NMB I would not use seafoam directly in cylinders , if the rings had stuck you would struggle to start the engine & the blowby would be very obvious . DPF & CAT's are prone to "damage " when unsuitable products are burnt in the engine . The two biggest killers of turbo's are lack of oil changes & switching off after a highspeed run with no time for turbo to slow & cool down . Your description of the smoke after a run & idleing would still make me suspect / inspect the turbo , everything hot , tolerances wider , oil thinner & leaking into hot downstream side of turbo , it's the same as getting a frying pan way too hot & the oil smokes