Thread: Service Issues: - DPF Soot filter full
View Single Post
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 15:14   #23
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1131 View Post
Its at the front of the engine near the oil filter housing. There is a hose running from the top of the case, over the engine and into the air intake on top of the cam cover.

you can check if this is your problem fairly easily. get some similar diameter hose from Halfords, a clear plastic bottle (an old coke bottle will do) and some cable ties.
Disconnect the hose from the PCV end, fold it in half and wrap a cable tie around it to clamp it shut. The cable tie will need to be quite tight to make sure it is all sealed.
Connect one end of your new hose to the PCV and the other end into the plastic bottle. zip tie the plastic bottle in a suitable location and similarly zip tie the hose so that it can not come out.

Take the car for a good drive and see if you block the soot filter again. (You'll need to make sure it is cleaned out before you start otherwise you won't know if this has worked or not). Also check to see how much oil has made its way into the clear bottle. Its normally for there to be an oily mist but your shouldn't see much more than spoonful in the bottom of the bottle.
That did not work for me, I got zero in the catch bottle, I think the extra length of hose etc breaks the vacum from the turbo end of the piping.... It might actually solve the problem but the piece from volvo dealer is only about 20 quid and easy to change.

It sits on the ruight hand side of the oil filter

just take off the black hose to the intake manifold the one with the 90 degree bend..

remove the bolts holding the fuel lines in place to get at the torx bolts on top of the valve... 10 minute job..

I had the soot filter full message reappearing after all of my repairs until I did the Liquimolly clean, this was simple using the liquid and a small weed killer bottle from Argos....

I have only put a hundred miles or so on the car since the DPF clean but the car was never as good, in terms of mpg or sheer power and acceleration.
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote