View Single Post
Old Jun 5th, 2017, 22:01   #11
trufauru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Great looking car. Well done on the work done so far. Look forward to further updates and pictures.
thanks Petey80, I love working on my cars, and I do a lot of photograpy and the writing part of these posts is almost as fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by druid View Post
Nice looking car and well done on the little things - it what makes a car YOUR car. Good tip with the degreaser, wish i knew last week, i scrubbed a bit to hard.
At last somebody as nerdy as me with the fuel filler
Thanks druid! the car is coming along nicely, and as you said, all this things are what make your car yours. I bought the degreaser to clean the engine bay, but given that the stuff on the buttons was human grease, but grease after all, I decided to give it a try and it worked great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
I have two V40s and on both the steering wheel was unpleasant. They seem to be very soft and easily worn and damaged. One now has a nice leather cover (the other is off the road.) Good luck with your new car - you seem to have started well.
Indeed, the leather is very soft, after the clean up the leather is like thiner on the top, I need to try again with more moisturizer cream, and leather polish.

Well, after I finished with the interior... well I didn't finished with the interior actually, I went to the trunk and try to find out why there wasn't any light there, the bulbs where working, and after a while I find out that aparently in it previous life somebody disconected the door switch from the rear gate, and that was why where wasn't any light, a quick reconect of the wires and... I found out that the original alarm still works and...

after that it was time for the engine bay, I used a lot of degreaser and various brushes to remove years and years of grime, after that I gave it a proper rinse with some water, and then... the engine that had been working fawlesly, started to act funny, I immediately pointed to the spark plugs and the previous rinse, I removed the coil packs to find this

The coil pack was damaged and somebody had already tried some epoxy putty over the crack, and some water made it trough the coilpack (also the oil cap is leaking)

If you see carefully the 3rd sparkplug is rusted, and there was water on that sparkplug tube, the tube that housed the broken coilpack. Also the other coilpack was starting to crack, so as the previous owner, I put some epoxy putty over the crack and call it a day. The car started great and run great as it should, but the sparkpulgs where very worn and the coils where damaged... so we keep adding things to the shopping cart

A few days after all this stuff, the turn signals started acting funny... they didn't blink, or they blinked one or twice and then nothing, so I knew the flasher relay was on it way out.

I took it out and re soldered all the conections, but it was the same... so out I went to try and found a flaasher relay on a holyday (and long weekend) in my country, I was very luckly that given that the city was almost a ghost town, the guys at the parts store were cheerfull and very helpful (not like that on a regular day), it tested the relay and proceded to find one with the same caracteristics as the Volvo part, but it's a Chevrolet Corsa/Celta/Agile flasher, and it has been working great... and we keep adding things to the shopping cart.

Last but not least, I finish with this photograpy

You might guess what I was doing...
Audi 100 1973 - Trying to get it on the road
UAZ 469 2002 - Beach/Surf Duties
trufauru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trufauru For This Useful Post: