View Single Post
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 14:27   #6
samk

Default My XC90 Swirl Arm Experience

Hello fellow Volvo-philes,
I hope this post helps others who experience swirl arm issues. Mine started on my regular drive to work in my 2007 185 D5 Auto 126K+ on the clock. I rarely exceed 3000RPM as I'm an easy-going kinda guy! About 2 weeks ago, when accelerating out of a round-about, I was forced to effect a quick shift-down and acceleration manoeuvre, and consciously noted the rev counter at about the 3500rpm mark. Lo and behold, the "Engine System Service Required" message popped up. I spoke to my Volvo Indy (Letchworth IVS) who advised that it's not that big of an issue, as I'd just gotten it serviced.
Thanks to this wonderful forum, I purchased a replacement swirl arm. In the interim 10 day period while waiting for it to arrive, I covered almost 500mi without any issues. I did note however that the car was not its 'usual self' when attempting quick acceleration.
With new arm fitted, I took it for a test drive (8mi round trip with highway driving for high revs) and did note improvement in acceleration responsiveness. Arm is still attached but will keep an eye and keep you guys posted.
I think I'll stick to sub-3K rpm for now!
samk is offline   Reply With Quote