View Single Post
Old Aug 26th, 2015, 11:09   #9
mattscooby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean94 View Post
Err.. It's a French engine! Ford/PSA DV6 (DLD416 in Ford speak) and runs the same underpinnings as a mark 2 Focus so I'd be checking closely for clean turbo boost across the Rev range and evidence of good regular servicing. These engines have a poor turbo design that can lead to oil starvation and internal engine ruin. Use of correct oil and servicing technique is paramount. They also have a chain that connects the 2 cams which can stretch and cut tracks in the cylinder head so check for any untoward rattles. Peugeot recommend a shorter cambelt interval on these engines and I'd be inclined to go with it, if I bought that car and it hadn't had a belt change is change it out of precaution. It's small change compared to a new engine.

I should make it clear I've had 2 Peugeots with this engine, 1 with 170k when I sold it and the other with 150k (now on 230k and original block) and only th lower mileage one suffered with the can chain stretching so I fitted another head and new chain at 140k and a new cambelt and sold it shortly after. I would never discount a high mileage car (my XC70 has 144k on it and I've just bought it with 143k!) but don't assume that because it's a Volvo it'll be ok, it's ain't no D5, the 1.6D can be fragile but some do mega miles, just check everything twice if you decide to buy
Service history is indeed top notch, every service done has been done by Volvo, the last one being very recent. The car pulls smoothly through the ranges with no strange noises or feeling, i'm just waiting for a full breakdown of everything thats been done to it in its life before going ahead.
mattscooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mattscooby For This Useful Post: