Thread: 240 General: - Advice please
View Single Post
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 22:18   #2
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

People debate at length between the 240 and the 740. I have a 240 and I have owned a 740. Both are good cars.

The 240 has higher ground clearance and a slightly longer load bay. The 740 is lower with consequent different handling and has split rear seats. There are of course other differences.

Why not test drive and see what you prefer?

Between the engines. The 2 litre is a good engine. Well mine works well. The 2.3 is more highly regarded.

The carburetor engines were always good. Depending which carburetter, there can be difficulties getting them running well nowadays. There are people in the forum who can give good advice about that, not me.

Carburetor engines are older. The car is less likely to have good more modern rust protection. But with K jet injection you will avoid electronics if that is your preference. (If you look at a K jet engine, there is a huge flat shelf for a mug of coffee. I think that is the inlet manifold!)

The injection engines are broadly divided between K jet mechanical injection which is generally regarded as seriously reliable, and the LH electronic injection which is also tried and tested.

I hope that basic sort of answer might help a little.

Beware rust on any older car....

P.S. A lot of 240 and 740 are used well as daily drivers. If there is a problem, diagnosis can take time and sometimes parts can take time. And, do you have a local garage with expertise in "modern classic" cars of this nature?
Suitability as a daily driver is also debated a little....

Last edited by Stephen Edwin; Sep 16th, 2018 at 22:25. Reason: P.S.
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote