View Single Post
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 20:15   #3
Big feller
Man of many volvos

Default Update

Immediately after fitting the new DPF and catalytic converter along with a new turbo the car drove beautifully for about 50 miles before getting progressively worse and exhibiting all the symptoms of a blocked DPF. Totally undriveable after about 80 miles.

Having eliminated pretty much all other possibilities including leaks in the induction tubing I decided to check the injectors. On my V40 I had the injectors ultrasonically cleaned and back flushed. Sadly this seemed not to be an option on the V50 with the Siemens injectors.

Peter Strong near Reading charged £15 per injector to test them and did so very quickly. It was about an hour's labour to remove.

All four were well out of spec so a new set was ordered for £180 + VAT each.

New injectors fitted and the DPF regenerated. The car fired up happily and idled smoothly. Out on the dual carriageway there were a couple of puffs of smoke but then it settled down and pulled smoothly.

Fingers crossed we have now sorted what the Volvo dealer missed entirely.

To sum up, if you have any symptoms similar to my description above I recommend starting off by getting the injectors tested. Assuming we really have found the fault this time, for an hour's labour and £60 I could have saved myself a couple of thousand pounds and a whole lot of grief.

Will do my best to report back when I have put some miles on.
Big feller is offline   Reply With Quote