View Single Post
Old Apr 12th, 2013, 17:44   #10
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by v50inred View Post
You also need to consider that if a large oil company like Mobil are happy it meets the specifications for the engine then it probably does.

There is no such thing as an engine that only works on Castrol 0w30 A5/B5.

There is certainly nothing wrong with it but other options need to be discussed in the forum.

What is certainly of significance with a vehicle equipped with a Dpf like later modern diesel Volvos is the saps being higher than I would be happy with.

The saps of Castrol 0w30 is 1.12 which is much higher than other low saps oil, C1, C2 etc.

Volvo and Ford have very strong links with Castrol which is why CStrol products are pushed as the ones to use.

Corporate deals are part of life, but don't blindly follow what they say.

I will be putting Mobil 3000 X1 FE into my Dpf equipped Pathfinder in the next few weeks.
I never said Castrol Edge... -
Quote:
whether that be Castrol or any make
It only states 0W-30 A5/B5 and somewhere about Castrol, but that was not part of my post read the information provided not what you want to read.

Ever considered the fact that Mobil might/do not have a 0W-30 with A5/B5 specification?

Which they actually do...leading me to an interesting point. The oil recommended by their system is actually wrong if based on specification.Fact.

http://www.mobil.co.uk/UK-English-LC...omy-0w30.aspx#

This meets A5/B5 and 0W-30 - but has a higher SAP that you keep going on about than Edge! Whether you like it or not 5W-30 is the wrong specification oil for a 5 cylinder Volvo diesel engine D3/D4/D5.

And to add a sense of irony to your statement your original input featured this: -
Quote:
If I had a '12 like you I would certainly be using 0w30
Yet somehow you are now recommending a 5W-30 oil for a car that should be running on 0W-30?

Last edited by Ninja59; Apr 12th, 2013 at 19:41.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote