View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2018, 20:21   #1
John Brennand
Master Member

Default How to remove the Cruise button ?

I cant get my cruise control to come on on my 2006 XC90 2.3. I have searched the forum and am aware that it could be the brake sensor connection - or something else that a code read would uncover. However, I am reasonably convinced it is the steering wheel button that is at fault. It has gone "stiff" to move and seems to rock on the corners if you press at those points. Pressing in the middle (as you should) doesn't effect much movement. Closer visual inspection seems to show some material on the side of the switch - maybe rubber or leather from the wheel, that is impeding the action.
I was going to try blasting canned air through it and/or some electrical contact cleaner but other posts have suggested that the button can be popped off to allow better cleaning and trimming off of any offending material.
So I would like to try that first. Can anyone advise the best way to "pop" the button off and back on - prying from how many/which points, how much force to apply, what tools to use, and any other things to look out for.
I would hate it to go the way of the last computer keyboard I tried to clean by popping of the keys !
Thanks John
John Brennand is offline   Reply With Quote