View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2020, 16:20   #14
marm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If you think 4x 20W RMS is a healthy output, i hope you're not disappointed! Also bear in mind the door speakers fail, the cones split and sometimes disintegrate completely.

Depending on your excat door cards, usually 13cm (5.25") coaxial or triaxial speakers will fit straight in but they need a slim voice coil and magnet so as they avoid the window mechanism. You can buy adaptor rings to mount them or even spacers (about twice the price of the adaptors) to make life easier as they have an odd screw pattern :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-740...5/290388292676

Hope you can find something to suit!
It's the not the cone itself that splits but rather the foam surround - the foam degrades over time and eventually falls apart. It's actually possible to replace it but given how cheap car speakers are probably not worth the effort. Mine seem in pretty good order at the moment so I'll probably keep them until they fall apart.

With my track record for swapping cars it's probably best not to plough too much money or time into improvements. Main thing is to keep it on the road. Would be nice to have some tunes though.

20 watts is plenty for me, thanks. My comment was that it was a healthy output by the standards of the day. Today perhaps you might expect more like 50 watts but in practice there's not loads in it - 100 watts is only twice as loud as 10 watts.
marm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marm For This Useful Post: