View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2020, 21:59   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marm View Post
Optimist? I looked under the grille. Besides, a foam surround is hardly a feature of high end audio. They're found on all sorts of stuff from the very cheap to the pretty decent.

In the front at least, my car is fitted with a pair of 6" paper cone drivers with foam surrounds and a little mylar tweeter in the middle. Riveted in place so obviously OE.

I haven't looked in the back, but there seem to be some tweeters or something in the dash. Overall setup looks not too bad to me. Is a later car.
I just had a look at a pair of speakers i removed from my 760, strangely they had intact cones and supports but i know the drive coil on at least one is FUBAR.
At first glance i thought i was wrong and that they had foam supports. Closer inspection revealed it was an impreganted material, perhaps polyurethane or similar. Given the state of the others i removed with paper supports, i suspect these were renewed by Volvo at some point in the cars life.

Thing is, the OE speakers were pretty low level and barely capable when new. I understand the cars under Fords complete ownership (1999 on) had much better audio systems built to a quality level rather than a cost. Many were Sony with 6 disc CD changers built in to double DIN head units. I think also better speakers were fitted.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote