View Single Post
Old Mar 23rd, 2024, 07:40   #4
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foeux View Post
SHOCKS

In cleaning the car for MOT (wheels off and 10lb+ of mud removed from inside arches) I noticed that

1) The rear shocks are very fat on top (maybe 2.5" dia), very tired looking and leaky.
2) The gaiters that run from the middle of the shock to the bottom have degraded away to a few casual rings of grubby rubber in the vicinity of the bottom of the shock shaft...
3) The shock mounts into the lower arm by a single bolt through a circular rubber bushing at the bottom of the shock. It then bolts up into a covered hole in the wheel arch.
4) the shocks seem to have been a pale blue colour at the bottom once upon a time...
These sound very much like the Nivomat self levelling suspension units. I have these in my 850R and when it came to replacement time, I fitted new Nivomats rather than fit 'std' suspension. Its an expensive option (mine cost £700+ 2 years ago) but works well if your use of the car varies from empty to fully (over)loaded If you want to go down this route, get a quote from FRF Volvo in Swansea quoting the club discount code.

If you want to remove these and fit standard suspension, you'll need the standard dampers and standard springs. This is because the Nivomat spec springs are much softer, so if you just fit standard dampers the back end will drop - a lot

Brand wise, Lesjofors were the OEM for springs, but Kilen are also very good (same manufacturing group). The OEM dampers were made by Sachs, but stick to a decent brand and you'll be ok. I have previously fitted Bilstein touring dampers which were good, but a fair bit firmer than standard.

Just for info, I'm about to fit a set of Lesjofors springs and KYB dampers to my 940 saloon.

Let us know how you get on
RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post: