View Single Post
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 12:35   #7
jonnyu

Just to add:
Apple is not working on anything to compete with Android Automotive. BMW and other brands already winked to Android Automotive but for certain models, not for the full range.
I believe that Volvo will use Android Automotive on it's full range, maybe starting with the new SPA2 in 2022.
Volvo and Polestar made history. They are the first in the new revolution that is arriving to the auto industry.

The future may or not be with Android Auto, who knows, but for sure until 2025, Android Auto will be the next big thing in this industry.

This will allow app developers to interact directly with the car's functionality giving you more or less functionality on your car not based on what the car manufacturer decides or sells you as a feature but in how a company or a developer can take advantage of an API to provide you with more control and functionality.

I'm thinking on features like the polestar optimization being sold as an app or addin for 50 pounds, for example, or even an app that will allow you to customize yourself in detail the gearbox/battery/engine performance settings.
Or to use the parking sensors to detect proximity of people around your car to send you notifications and use the parking cameras to take a snapshot and send you by app or sms.
So many applications you can think of to extend functionality beyond the current capabilities that car manufacturers often dont explore.

It's more or less the revolution we are seeing in modern TV sets that will spread out to the automotive industry.