View Single Post
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 20:17   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Hello Dave,

Er. Bubble wrap has nothing to do with having the spare amplifier ready mounted to an equally spare heat sink, so one does not have to mount the amplifier to the heat sink at the roadside!

Dangling is obviously only "get you home" yes. I've not had to change a heat sink so I don't know how much is involved fixing it to the car. If Clifford suggests dangling, there must be a good reason. Famous last words, what Clifford says upstairs in 240 land seems to be the business.

Anyway to wrap a spare component use brown paper, string and sealing wax, far more classy! Or. All wrapped up in a five pound note.

I do think re resetting ECU memory I might be talking chalk and cheese. Barking up a wrong tree. I'm thinking of the fault code reader for LH2.4 as here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=169603 and that has a specific inbuilt reset procedure.

Over and above unplugging the suspect ignition amplifier, it's two screws Stephen and clean the heatsink and smear some heatsink compound on the back of the new one. In fact, if you were to leave it dangling as a "get you home" measure, you could almost just plug the new one in without having it mounted on a heatsink - it will certainly work like that long enough to verify the fault either is or isn't the amp module - i used to carry one in my toolbox as a "diagnostic proof" module for that very purpose when i made my living at it.

There's nothing wrong per see with the idea of mounting a spare on a heatsink so it can be plugged in but for the sake of two screws, cleaning and then adding some heatsink compound, the entire repair is completed and doesn't need to be revisited to "make good" at a later date.

Brown paper etc might be more classy but won't protect the component the way bubblewrap will - i know this from experience!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote