View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2019, 06:50   #43
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If they did, they'd need car parks 3 times the size at peak times.
Fewer spaces, sure, but I think 3 times is a over-estimation. Disabled spaces are not three times the size of a normal one. Parent and child spaces don't need to be quite so big, and the ordinary spaces don't need to be much wider to be reasonably sized. But I still wonder why there are "ordinary" spaces at all.

It doesn't sit comfortably with me that there's this unique VIP club to which you can only get membership by peculiar social rules. Where there is genuine need, I agree entirely. Where it's just a PR exercise (which i strongly suspect) and where statistical targets must be met (which I also strongly suspect) you end up with shoddy design: An entire row of disabled spaces, the furthest of which are more remote from the door than the nearest "ordinary" spaces in the next row.

But still I don't like the idea of their being "normal" and then "disabled" (read: privaliged) spaces at all. It would be fair to say that with so many disablities being recognise today, and almost everyone breeds at some point, it would appear to me that the amount of disabled spaces and parent spaces is nowhere near sufficient. So should we have more? If we're mapping the demographic properly, I would argue there's not many ordinary people around really. So we shouldn't need many ordinary spaces.

Throughout our society, more and more we are realising there's not really any "ordinary" folk at all. Everyone has some kind of disability. Mental health, allergies, food intollerances, flickering lights, sensory overload, agoraphobia, whatever.... There is a whole wealth of maladies to choose from. We need to get away from the idea of "most are normal, a few are not", and the whole set-aside bit of parking for those with "special" needs just isn't really appropriate in today's world. Different people have different needs, some are documented, some are not, some have doctor's notes, some people refuse them, the needs are as diverse as the people.

Just make the f'kin spaces bigger and then everyone can manage.

Nobody is normal.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post: