View Single Post
Old Nov 11th, 2023, 16:10   #633
TomSaintJames

You spoke to soon Luke!

Yesterdays adventures included getting the last loom connection sorted, for my 2dr 740 hearse this is just the the rear lights, fuel pump and interior lights thankfully! It would be a whole world of complications if I had to figure out all the rear door and rear screen gubbins too.

So we have rear lights! All tested except indicators and reverse, the indicator stalks aren't installed and likewise the gearstick & gearbox linkage with reverse switch. The instrument panel is now also working properly, as are the door shut lights - even the fuel gauge.

The battery was almost flat by this point, hence the dim lights.

BUT no fuel pump, I started poking my multimeter around and when the ignition was turned on, the voltage immediately rises but the relay clicks off before 12V is achieved - no fuel pumpage. I couldn't do much more as the multimeter positive wire departed from inside the probe... Cheap crap!

Now I think about it, the B200E engine used to run lean @ MOT and the main pump (for the B200E K-jet engine I believe its under the car body) was quite noisy - these things lead me to suspect a dead in-tank lift pump, so one of the next jobs is to remove the tank sender/pump unit and swap in a high pressure post-1995 in tank fuel pump.
I will also replace the fuel feed line from pump-filter and filter-fuel rail, detouring around the under-floor pump. I'm thinking this might be quite expensive in this car - it's fecking long - might as well do the return line whilst I'm there but will depend on how much the feed line is going to cost!

I'll check before I order, but should I be getting 8mm ID R9 ethanol-safe high pressure fuel hose?

I intend to buy a Walbro 225/255 GSS342 kit but will check measurements etc first, I have read a fair bit on these fitting 940's with little to no modification but unsure about how their fitment in the 740 sender/pump unit.

In other news, I had a small issue with the Lexus' rear wiper mechanism last weekend. It seized a few weeks ago so I thought I'd get in with some lube and see if I couldn't bring it back around, turns out I could - but in a quite expensive manner...

Wiper arm off, it took me half an hour to remove a 10mm nut and the wiper arm... I got the feeling this wasn't going to end well.

Before attempting to remove the nut, note that the nut sits on a washer that sits on the glass - there is another washer from inside that has the thread which the nut sits on.

After me trying to remove the nut, and just for the record - I was being SO careful.

The nut is solidly rusted on there, the reason for wiper mechanism is the same - rust. The whole seized washer combo ended up rotating and getting caught on the motor housing from behind, pushed the glass forward and BANG, shattered glass everywhere.

Seized nut
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post: