View Single Post
Old Feb 11th, 2016, 11:39   #7
rkennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersetcamper1 View Post
Interested to see what you are planning with electrics. Bypass?

I'm going the OEM Volvo route. Car under warranty and would like to have the stability control feature.

Have everything fitted to the car, the car hasn't been told there's a towbar fitted yet and it hasn't had the software update applied for the stability control.

This is where it gets confusing. I've found some threads that suggest you will get basic light function but no parking sensor or lights mute, and I've also found some threads that tell you, you get nothing until the car is programmed. I get nothing.

Anyone know for sure which is right?
If you go down the Volvo route and fit the official electrics kit you then need to have the software downloaded at the Volvo dealer. You can fit the electrics kit yourself and as wiring is in the car connecting to the car main system you have all the safety aspects covered eg stability control, parking sensors etc, switched off when towing.
I fitted the Volvo towbar and wiring kit myself and had the software loaded at the dealer - cost of software and download was 1 hour labour.

I also noted that the OP did not fit the rear bumper protection shield when fitting his towbar. This is part of the crash protection of the car and he may find that if he is in an accident his insurance will not cover any rear end shunt as the car is not to the manufacturers spec. When fitting the Volvo towbar (and some other makes) this protection is put back on the car and therefore is returned to full Volvo sppecification.
rkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote