View Single Post
Old Feb 5th, 2016, 18:19   #13
Mr steptoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenineplus View Post
Just for information or wheel tyre help.

I went out in the snow last week and very disappointed with the XC60 AWD. I have never had a 4x4 before and thought this time it would help with the bad snow and winters I get being 1200ft above sea level. How wrong I was.

The grip is shi-e and skidding everywhere.

I have run winter tyres on cars for 15 years around here and never had a problem like I have in the Volvo. I always wondered why I overtook 4x4 cars going up hills, around corners and never struggled .

My theory is now correct. Its all in the tyres. Do not waste your money getting a 4x4. Just get a front 2 wheel drive car and get a set of spare wheels with winter tyres. A 4x4 is only worth getting for going off road and up bad tracks.
A pointless vehicle really for my use as I don't drive across fields or on dirt tracks. Steep hills I do yes but this Volvo couldn't even handle them in the snow. I parked the car up and used our Zafira and Pug RCZ which have winter tyres and wheels on.

I'm now looking at either getting a set of 16" steel wheels with 215/65/16 tyres or a set of 18/19/20" wheels with winter tyres on for between Dec to April like I do with my other cars we run on winter tyres. Tyreleader and mytyres do all the steel and alloy wheels with a great range of winter tyres.

Anyone else run winter tyres or have a view?

You have the same problem as 90% of the population in their thinking regarding a 4x4 vehicle.

A 4x4 doesn't give you more grip, it gives you more traction. Two entirely different things.
Mr steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr steptoe For This Useful Post: